Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Another day, another year: part 1

Or so the song goes – wait, what song is that?

Well anyway, 2011 has come to a close, but yet I can't help thinking; umm, where did the time go? Mind-boggling how time just seems to fly by eh? Honestly though, I can’t begin to describe just what an incredible, intense, insane year it’s been for me. As I have reiterated time and again, thank God for the blog that I was able to record and keep track of it all!

When I started this blog and the round the world travel trek, I was 38. I’ve turned 40 this year and I think to myself; holy crap I’m 40!! Then once I get over that I think; my God I’ve been so lucky to have travelled and experienced so many places over the past 2 years. I’ve learned a lot of lessons, picked up on interesting facts as well as the odd informative tidbit here and there (i. e. did you know that Iceland and Vietnam are practically the only countries on the planet that do NOT have McDonalds? Yup it’s true although Vietnam has a ton of KFCs – go figure?). I’ve been privileged to meet some fantastic, unforgettable people and make new friends, something I didn’t think could happen at this stage in my life, but the best part? I’ve cooked and eaten my way around this crazy planet – VERY well too I might add and picked up a few pointers, new tips/techniques and some damn tasty recipes. Without a doubt, it’s been a year of life altering adventures yet on the same token it’s like nothing has changed.

I have no clue what’s going to happen next and maybe that’s the way it should be. Sure it scares me a bit but I think I’m pretty calm about it. You get used to calming yourself down after travelling around the world – you just roll with the punches. I don’t want to predict or make resolution for the new year but I will say that during the past year of ‘just living’, has helped me become a little less afraid to embrace whatever may come - it’ll be ok.

So instead of endless writing (too late!), I decided to highlight the year in a series of pictures based on all the countries I’ve visited and that I haven’t posted before. I wish I had taken more but a photographer I'm not. Still, please enjoy and have a Happy New Year!!!

Iceland


United Kingdom

Germany


Italy


Coming up: Part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment