Monday, May 18, 2015

When it's over: the Mad Men finale




images courtesy of AMC and http://www.dailymail.co.uk

It was an incredible ending to an incredible program.

I definitely raised a generously poured Old Fashioned glass to one of my all time favourites shows. I'm mourning the end, but I was also very satisfied that the final episode didn't finish on a disappointing note that befalls so many other TV program endings. Seinfeld or The Sopranos this wasn't.

All the main characters received a send off that befit each and every one of them. Tears were shed and laughter rang out. I have to smile because I've been humming the coke jingle all morning. So THAT'S how it came to be. Alright I obviously know that's not how the famous tune and iconic advertisement from 1970 came to be, but it sure made sense after seeing Don Drapers/Dick Whitman's smile at the end of the show.

"I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony." For those who remember this commercial when aired in the 1970's, just try to get that jingle out of your head now. A truly brilliant ending.

Thank you Mad Men, for making my Sunday nights required storytelling time. Television won't be the same without you. It was truly a pleasure being with you these past seven years. This smile below says it all.

image courtesy of punditfromanotherplanet.com

No comments:

Post a Comment